Tuesday, September 9, 2008

My Latest Commitment


I've signed on over at Wardrobe Refashion for four months of refashioning goodness. Making the pledge means that I've determined to only make, repurpose, or purchase used/secondhand all clothing for myself and my family (excluding undergarments) for the next four months. My commitment started Sept 1, so I've already added my maternity shorts to the list of Completed Projects. Feels pretty good to get off to a solid start!

In fairness, this whole thing might be a little overly ambitious--four months takes us through the end of the calendar year, after all, and encompasses Halloween, Thanksgiving (oh, like YOU don't make a Thanksgiving dress every year? plus, I think all three kids need to dress as Pilgrims this year since we're not going to Gramma's...), AND Christmas, but we have two kids already and another due smack in the middle of my commitment! I already have a HUGE list of projects I'm waiting to complete (and have already fallen behind), but I'm hoping that since I'm nesting like crazy already that those instincts will carry me through. And come November, I'll be in the house for a good while with New Baby, so maybe that's a built-in failsafe??

Thank goodness, though, that the pledge doesn't cover gifts. And that I usually get gift cards for Christmas--cards that can be used AFTER my commitment. Is it wrong that I'm already thinking of buying new? Perhaps I've missed the point...

I'll be posting here and over at Wardrobe Refashion as this experiment goes on. Stay tuned, feel free to comment, etc--I'm inspired NOW, but have fallen down on the job in the past, and would like to be able to see this one all the way through. Part of the point here was that I wanted to have the WRF site (as we insiders call it) as a motivator--I'll be cross-posting here, so you'll be able to keep up with my progress. Here's hoping I get even HALF way through my list of Things to Sew.

For those of you curious, here are The Rules for my commitment:

1. No buying new! (handmade is excepted, so this allows for Etsy purchases etc!!) All clothing must be Recycled, Renovated, Preloved or Thrifted, or Handmade only for the term. Employment-related and special needs clothing (ie sports, school), shoes and undies are excepted from the rules, although you are encouraged to have a go at making these.

2. In extreme circumstances, maybe a special event, or the world's greatest and most amazing never-to-be-repeated sale that you simply cannot pass up, you may use the Get out of Refashionista Jail Free card. You are able to use this card once during the 2 month part of your contract; ie 1 for 2 months, 2 for 4 months etc. Of course you need to fess up on the blog and display the button!

3. You must post on the blog at least once a week to let the community know what you've been up to. This will not only give you brag points, but inspire and encorouge others! Of course you need to display the button on your blog and have copied the pledge in at least one post, and provide a link to your pledge under the button.

4. You need to be honest and admit when you've fallen off the Refashionista Wagon! Go directly to Refashionista Jail, do not pass GO and do not collect $200! Apply for parole once there.


Think good thoughts for me, see you soon!

No comments: