Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Realtors

The house is still on the market. After eleven months. And I just got off the phone with someone wanting to see it. But, see, here's the thing. I think this is the third or fourth time I've had a realtor call and say they wanted to see the house within 30 minutes. And they always seem startled. This one seemed genuinely taken aback that I wouldn't be able to show the house in the next 20 minutes, and said, "I didn't realize it was appt only." I said, "It's not, but I can't have the property ready in that amount of time. Let's set a time for you to come later--how about this evening between 5.15 and 6.15?" And she said they'd "already be done by then." Well, of course you will. And if you'd done your homework and actually, oh, I don't know, PREPARED before getting in the car and driving around the neighborhood with your client, then you wouldn't have had that problem. Now, I realize that sometimes people just see a house on the side of the road and want to go take a peek, but the part that really got me was the fact that this woman was so SHOCKED that I wanted more notice, and that we actually LIVE HERE.

Grrr.

I'm not trying to turn people away, but it's super frustrating the level of disrespect and discourtesy. I mean, if I hadn't answered the phone, I can GUARANTEE that this woman would've just let herself in and then acted surprised when I popped up the stairs and startled her and embarrassed her in front of her client. It REALLY wasn't like this a year ago when we first went on the market--they were much more deferential and worked harder to not piss off the seller. Now, they think they can have their pick and crap on our floor on the way out the door. And I'm sorry, but in our house, only the baby is allowed to crap on the floor.

No comments: