Friday, April 25, 2008

It's HERE!

OK, folks. It's been a busy, BUSY few months. Like, really busy. Like, I'm-not-just-saying-it-to-cover-up-my-laziness-because-it-really-has-been-nuts busy. And it's all coming--I hope--to fruition. Tomorrow.

This weekend is the Inman Park Festival. It's big. It's popular. It intimidates me, and I've avoided getting a booth because I couldn't face the idea of having 20,000 people come through and look at Pretty Jane and not know what they'd think. It's not like doing a project at the office, where if the presentation doesn't go well you think, "Huh, I wonder why they didn't like it?" This is a lot more like taking a piece of your personality, a tiny bit of your soul, and a dash of hope and smearing it on a bagel to offer with a smile. What if they don't like it?? Any crafter will tell you that's it's a crazy personal process, and can be unbelievably rewarding, but negative criticism hurts, and I'm *ahem* "risk averse," shall we say.

All this to say that it's kinda a big deal for me to be participating. Now, in fairness, I'm not doing it all by my lonesome--Beehive has put together a SuperBooth with 9 designers, and we're all sharing space, so that takes off some of the edge (and hopefully a lot of the pressure). But this is still the first truly LARGE audience I've had for a show (other than you, dearest Internet), and I'm nervous.

I've spent the vast majority of my available time for the past two months getting ready. In the meantime, sales at the store have been great, and I've done successful trunk shows AND taken my first wholesale order (which was way cooler than I thought it would be) over at Monkey's Treehouse in Nashville (thanks, Natalie!). So April's been good to us here at Pretty Jane. It's this One Last Hurdle that needs to be leapt? leaped? and then I'm allowed to sleep. Wow.

An exciting weekend, for sure. Think good thoughts for me! I'll see you on the other side of two sweaty, 12-hour days...

No comments: